Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014

So that North Face jacket I brought out expecting to wear it come December? It's already in my daily wardrobe. This country has no summer and no sunshine hahaha.

Loved ones of my past life before the ministry,

I come to you this week with more tales of the woes of life as an Elder. I know refer to myself in my head as Elder Webb, no longer James. I forget that I'm wearing strange clothing when we enter shopping centres. I don't remember what it's like to plan on driving somewhere. In fact, it's bizarre to me that the people around me don't have accents, and I sometimes forget my companion doesn't understand when I speak Chinese with people.

These are good signs. The past is meshed into an abstract continuum to only draw principles from to assist me in this work. Medieval architecture has ceased to be a phenomenon to my eyes. But the week was great!

I have a Chinese investigator who wants to be baptised. Apparently he just needs his mom's permission hahaha. He is 24 and named Li Xiang. I don't think he understands yet what the church is but we've only taught him a few times. So that will all be exciting. I can't promise much.

I don't think I really ever understood the Restoration until my mission. You have to help people understand it from every background, so you really begin to understand its significance as you teach it. The workings and plans of the Lord are evident on every continent and missionaries get to realize it every day.

Funny story of the week, we went to the park to find Chinese kids playing basketball and stumbled upon all these Indians playing cricket. Elder Sidhu started speaking Punjabi with them. I think Michael Webb and I have Indian facial structures, now that I am honest with the world. So if you ever need to speak your native tongue in the good work, go to your local park. There was a game of Chinese basketballers as well, but we didn't talk to them.

Oh yeah and we got three girls from Mongolia to come to church yesterday! It was so cool. Their names are like impossible for me to remember, but they are so sweet. I love Asians.

Mom, anything is good in the package. Elder Sidhu loved the beef jerkey but it might be illegal to send. Curry Mile is dangerous territory haha.

Love,

Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment