Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21, 2014

Dearest Folks of the Land of the Free,

Sorry about pictures, my camera takes too large of files to send very many and I can't figure out how to shrink them yet. Precious time, these two hours. Also, if I say strange things in my emails you can't hold me accountable because my brain turns to mush on P-days and I really am not sure what I say. If you have requests for what is most interesting to read from emails (investigators, stories, culture, etc.) let me know so I can have some focus!

I can't believe I've been here for three weeks. My birthday was fun, we got Korman curry to take out which was tasty and I loved those OREOS! They are seriously so good. Thanks for the package, Mom, the mission office delivered it right on my birthday :) The peanut butter here is not as sweet or peanut flavored as it is back home. Having more stories of my ancestors will be great, I think that will be special since I am in the land of my forefathers. I am a little bit excited for the day I will be a senior companion and can call more of the shots on food; we eat like peasants some meals and like kings for others. 

So Julia's baptism was postponed until next week, which was a little sad, but it will be all the more exciting. I never understood what a baptism really meant until now. Even if the person is prepared you have to fight to the bone to get them under the water. But Julia is a saint and has such a willing heart for everything. Teaching her makes the longer days worth it. There is such a remarkable difference between people with the Gospel and those without it. People are just so blessed on every angle when they follow Christ, and there is so much confusion and darkness without it.

So you may remember my elderly friend, Ethel. I am pretty sure old age is the only thing standing in her way for baptism. We gave her a Book of Mormon and the next lesson she was so scared we would be mad that her dog tore it all up. The cover was totally shredded just like if Olive had had a heyday. Ethel is the sweetest woman but I think she might have dementia, so teaching her is really funny.

I will find out this week if I will stay in Chorley for another transfer or go somewhere else. I would be fine to be here another six weeks, but it kind of sounds nice to start learning more Chinese. I guess students really don't get here until September, so it makes sense for me to stay here and finish training or go practice Chinese with Elder Jin from Beijing somewhere else. I will know all of this on Saturday. Elder Debenham goes home to Sandy a week from Thursday so I'll have to send him round to greet you all. 

As far as spiritual growth, one core topic seems to be the most important as a missionary. Any time another elder bears testimony of enduring a trial or how they changed, it all comes down to the Atonement and their personal relationship with Christ. I am reading the Book of Mormon right now with the specific goal of better understanding of how to come to know Christ and use His Atonement. Without this understanding this work is really impossible. It is at the core of all we are and what we need to do with the Gospel.

I am feeling much more comfortable with this crazy lifestyle and a lot less anxious about the future. Missionaries have a very special privilege in their calling. I may not have an iPhone, wear very clean clothes all of the time, or get time to relax on the couch. I also walk everywhere and learn quickly who likes us and who doesn't. But I am so grateful for the sacred privilege of being a spiritual minister to the people of England and seeing God's hand in their lives. Miracles happen like common events when you do this work and I have never felt in my heart such a satisfaction and understanding of what is most important. I am not jealous of anything else because this is the work of God and it is so fulfilling, even in all its discomfort.

I love you all,
Elder Webb


No comments:

Post a Comment