Monday, October 13, 2014

October 13, 2014

Fam,

I just need to start this email with the best story that ever happened. So Elder Curtis and I have some similar interests and relationships with our siblings and other little random things. We were testing the ring tones on our phone and this one reminded us both of something... BANJO KAZOOEY! It was the last thing I thought I'd talk about on my mission. I hope that brought some memories back, Laura and Scott. It's like part when you leave the house and the witch cackles or whatever hahaha.

And then my other funny story. So we are still teaching Amanda the Brazilian girl and she was talking about how she doesn't want to interpret things as answers from the Lord if it's just herself imagining it. One day she was walking down the street and someone gave her a flyer that said, "Repent, and be baptized." She said she started laughing really hard and couldn't read the rest of the flyer. Hopefully she starts taking the signs haha I think she will.

I have realized I don't really tell you all very much about who we are teaching. It's because it changes almost every week and there hasn't been a baptism in the YSA ward since like the beginning of August, which is sort of crazy with how many companionships are here. At first in my mission I could never understand how some people go for two years without any baptisms and now I see that it really isn't about that and there are many other things to keep you going. 

This week we had a zone conference where a challenge was issued that Elder Holland gave missionaries in Michigan. Basically you fast for a day and write down all those things you are doing that drive away the Spirit and then "fast" from them for 40 days. Elder Curtis and I started. I mostly just put the big things so I don't go crazy, but it's really good and hard. And then we got a huge packet for a 31 day study of the Atonement from President Ulrich so hopefully this time can really help me as I try to become sanctified and commit everything to the work. Honestly all of the culture and talk about missions are just a mask for a journey to come to understand our Savior on a different level. Manchester has become for me a little spiritual battleground where every day is an uphill battle.

Mom and Dad, congratulations on your mission call! That is so amazing. I can't believe it's the same church we visited all those years ago, Dad. The Lord works in truly mysterious way. Just remember that deacon seven years ago now would find those experiences pretty mild compared to where I am now haha. I love you both so much and I really hope it becomes an amazing experience. 

As for the rest of the week, mostly just talking to people and working on goals and Chinese, etc. The time goes so quickly now I can't believe it. Halloween is in just a few weeks and it feels like only a few months ago that I was celebrating it back home. Elder Curtis and I have lots of good laughs and there's some good days out here. I honestly have no idea what to tell you all about because nothing sounds interesting if I put it into your perspective haha. You get the most entertainment out of the littlest things as a missionary. 

I think the best part of being a missionary is the unique power and cleansing feeling that comes when you share the Gospel full time. I make so many mistakes everyday and there are definitely some long prayers in our flat throughout the week but nothing is more important than the Gospel. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know He truly died upon the cross for each of us. These truths that are so passing for most of the world become everything to you as a missionary. You cannot teach a Gospel that you do not powerfully live. Thank you for all your prayers and I really feel of your love.

I remember back home when I would read missionary emails that are all just full of scriptures and testimonies and I was like, "Oh, classic. They're at it again, all spiritual and boring." But honestly if I'm supposed to report my weeks to you that's all I have haha because it is what dominates your thoughts and it's really all that becomes important to you. But again you should tell me what is interesting so I can share it better.

Love you all,

Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment