Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27, 2014

Fam around the Block,

I have used 1% of my Google Space. Never had I so many emails in my non-missionary email account. It's amazing.

Highlights of the week. We have cleaned our flat like animals. Now it is worthy of my OCD standards except some of the things we don't have the funds to buy cleaner for, but nothing bad. Elder Curtis and I have been buying really good food and made pesto chicken with toast and balsamic vinegar/olive oil the other day. It's definitely not restaurant quality, but boy did it bring me back to summers at the Webb estate. 

It gets dark here around 5:30 which is honestly sort of sad. I think I'll be a creature of the night the rest of my life. When everyone talks about the rain here it's like in Utah when everyone says they hate the snow but never are willing to move or do something about it. I had like this life changing moment the other week when the sun peeked up for a few moments and Elder Curtis and I just stopped and basked in the short lived rays. Haha so maybe I'm making it sound a little intense but I am surprised at the weather here.

There is a new companionship in the YSA and one of them is from Fillmore! He is like six foot eight and learned Farci, the language of like Iran and other places, on his mission. Pretty sweet! They will be fun to have around and hopefully this is a good transfer with some success and things. Did you know that every student in England dresses like a hipster? Doc Martins are the shoes, green jackets or tight polka dot oxford shirts, skinny jeans, everyone! And then the Chinese students wear like their Air Jordans and love the Utah Jazz haha. 

Halloween is this week and I hope I can carve pumpkins or something! Maybe I can roast the seeds in the tin foil too. Oh yeah and food is really expensive here but they have take-outs everywhere with fish and chips and kebabs and things that are not too expensive that I love. Kebabs are sort of scary to eat though if you're not careful. They are illegal in the states because the meat is on open display, but Mountain Dew is illegal here because of the chemicals we put into it.

We taught an English class that was hilarious this week. There was this old Portuguese lady there and a man from somewhere in the Middle East I have never heard of and a Chinese couple. We went around playing a game where one person would say, "I went to the shop and bought ____." I was dying inside. Sometimes I complain to myself about hard work, etc. but then I realize how hilarious people are and get all giddy inside. I honestly can't think of much else this week. Amanda is still reading and praying and things and the ward has fellowshipped her amazingly but I don't know how it will pan out. We are teaching a few Chinese students but commitment is really tough for them. They are receptive but it is hard to explain how important it all is. 

Oh yeah and we visited a university in Salford this week and there was a giant river! It was amazing! I love nature so much. And fish and chips places are called chippies here and there was a place called Chung's Chippy. We've got to try it. There was a hotel there called the Black Horse Hotel with all this graffiti on it. It looked like a mixture of indie culture and Lord of the Rings. Pubs are seriously on every street in England and they all have such classical names, like Greyhound Inn or The Hartwood or whatever. It is one unique culture and I definitely did not understand it before I got here. Haha I think I get frustrated that no one knows what England is really like. 

Love you all and hope your week is proper good,
Elder Webb-under-Lyne


No comments:

Post a Comment