Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15, 2014 From The Vineyard

To Them Across the Globe,
 
Greetings from England.
 
This computer has Internet Explorer and I think I'm running Windows XP, this is ancient! It's been a great week here in the Morecambe and Lancaster area. I think this was one of the fastest weeks of my life and with Christmas and everything this transfer will be over quick. It's weird to have a car in this area. It's so nice though when it's raining or hailing. It actually snows in Lancaster! Not a lot though. It hasn't yet but I've been told it will. Across the bay from us are mountains with snow on them in an area called Barrow and it reminds me of looking over Utah Lake from Provo to where the family goes shooting.
 
I'm trying to think of what we did this week. It's a lot harder than it sounds. On Saturday there was a day when members came out with us on splits for a bit of the day which was fun. It's nice because they know people in the area and we've been doing a lot with the new church video called He is the Gift. We're trying to get people to share it and we have little cards with a link that we give to people. The Christmas season is nice because people are more receptive to religion right now haha. Makes sense, gets people talking to us.

Elder DiPeri and I are having fun. He's really bold with people and I'm a little more sensitive or something like that so we're a good duo. There are a lot of people here who like missionaries and have been taught forever but never really made it all the way. Hopefully we can do some more in this great plan for each of us. The weather is crazy. Somedays the sun shines and it's amazing to walk down the streets in old rustic neighborhoods and somedays it's dark and raining and it feels like I'm in some sort of nightmare town. Good laughs to look back upon in a future day. 

There is a member here who served in Norway and he said the sun doesn't come up for three months in the winter there. I can't even imagine that. It sounds like a factory for real men. It's nothing like that here, but the winter will put a little more grizzle on my beard. I'm excited to hear everyone's Christmas plans over the next week or so. We will be in member's homes for most of the time, which is sort of excruciating according to Elder DiPeri. But the ward here is amazing and I think I will make some good friends.

You know when people say they love how the church is the same everywhere you go? I don't think that is true. It's so different in England. A lot of the members are older here so I feel like half the ward still is like in the 1980s in their worlds and the rest are iPhone friendly. Morecambe has a really weird culture to it. I don't know how to explain it. It's like if you took a Scooby Doo movie with California and put it in Harry Potter. Some of the scenery here looks like it's straight from Brave Heart. Pretty great.

Mom, did you know you always fed me English style meals growing up? All the food is so familiar but strange to my companions. 

My camera doesn't really work with these computers. Would you like me to mail my SD card home so you can see all the pictures I've taken? Obviously I can't explain them all but you might like seeing them. Let me know, it would be really easy.

Love you all, 

Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment