Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22, 2014 Happy Christmas!

To those who might actually have some snow,

It's been a great week! We got to go to the Preston temple as all the missionaries which I always love. We ate at the cafeteria too and I think that's what meals in the Celestial Kingdom will be like haha. British people love Sunday dinners for any time of the week so roasts with potatoes and parsnips and brussel whatevers and Yorkshire puddings are common, especially around Christmas. The weather here is mostly the same, just rainy and really windy next to the seashore. It probably won't snow at all, but a little higher north it usually does.

It's been fun proselyting around Christmas. We have special pass-a-long cards for the season advertising the "He is the Gift" video and just ask people if they know why we really celebrate Christmas. Definitely not every house on the block has lights up but usually everyone has a tree and some decorations. Tomorrow is a big dinner in Manchester with half of the mission and then on Christmas Eve we proselyte for about half of the day. Then Christmas Day we might go for a hike in the Lake District in the morning and have a meal with some members in the evening. Then we take most of Boxing Day off the next day and will go to some members or whatever. It's a way bigger deal in England.

It will be a weird week and this last week has been strange, too. We don't have too many progressing investigators. Most of the people we teach have been taught forever and it takes longer to make progress. I've been meeting more and more Chinese people. There are like nineteen Chinese take out restaurants in Morecambe. The man next to me in the library is Chinese actually haha, maybe I'll try to come up with a way to talk to him!

Mom! We were at this member's home and guess what kind of shop he owns? They sell wooden puppets. It's up in an area called Kendal and is called Grandma's Puppets. When he said it I got really excited and said, "Whoa, my mom looooves puppets." Then everyone looked at me really strange haha. If I ever get up there I'll have to send you some pictures or something. It's kind of expensive and difficult to travel in our mission for fun activities.

Otherwise not too much happened this week. We just did lots of street contacting and door knocking. Hours. It's becoming a part of my system to just talk to people everywhere I see them. It's so weird that it feels normal. A Chinese girl was baptized in our ward on Saturday. Her name is Dream hahaha. She speaks really good English though so that will help her get adjusted to the church and the ward. It's really hard for Chinese people here to get beyond their initial testimony and conversion because of cultural and language barriers I think.

That's about it. So for Christmas Skyping I will be at a family called the Gallaghers on Christmas Eve. We are going about 4:30 pm our time and the time difference is 7 hours. So they said I could Skype from his iPad and it will be for an hour sometime probably between 5:00 pm and 7:00 pm, which is 10:00 am to 12:00 pm your time. Hope that works! If not I think you can let the mission office know today and hopefully they can work something out to tell me when is better for you all, but that's the plan so far :) I'm not sure how I feel about talking to you all; it will be sort of surreal I think haha. But come up with some good questions for me and it will be great!

Love you all and I hope you remember the true meaning of Christmas. I'm pretty sure people talk about how everyone forgets it just as much as everyone forgets it though. I learned this week in a fuller sense how immense my priesthood duty is to share this Gospel, whether or not it is accepted or people listen. And that duty to serve Him is lifelong; there is no turning back in this life. I know that Jesus Christ truly was born to save all mankind from their own weakness. He cares; that is something I have learned again and again when the days are long. May we honor His gift to us in remembrance and repentance each day.

Love,

Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment