Monday, September 29, 2014

September 29, 2014

Dear Ancient Inhabitants of the Americas,

So this week has some crazy news! After I emailed you last week I got a call that night that I would be training one of the new Chinese missionaries and that they were coming in the next day. So basically they got here on Tuesday and came over to the area on Wednesday and Elder Sidhu left for another area today. He's going to a place near Preston. The last week has been weird with Elder Sidhu saying goodbyes and also Elder Jin from Beijing came into the YSA ward to train the other Chinese speaking missionary, Elder Harris from Ogden. We call them the lost boys because they look a bit confused at how to do things here haha.

So my new companion is Elder Eli Curtis. He is from near Logan and he was companions with Elder Harris in the Provo MTC learning Chinese for the last two months. We have so many weird similarities like the same journal and he has a beagle and he loves fishing and hunting. So it will be a fun transfer and although he doesn't know it yet, he'll be a great missionary. It's crazy to train just after I finished my first 12 weeks which is the technical training period so I hope I can figure out how to do everything and teach him and help him. Mostly they just need someone to emotionally rely on until they adjust to things here. It's funny to see myself in him as I was so bugged by the little things like British vocabulary and gross water that I don't even think about anymore.

And guess what?! I apparently have a British accent now. Elder Curtis says that when I talk to British people I automatically switch and sound British. Then I switch back when I speak to Chinese people and simplify my grammar. Haha it's so funny. GIFT OF TONGUES!!!

Oh yeah I should tell you about all the people we teach. So there is Joulia who used to be Muslim and then Ella who was baptised in London. They are really solid and we just help with retention by teaching them weekly. Then we have Tom from China who finally came to church and has a deep desire to know about Jesus Christ. There is Varind, the Indian shopkeeper, but with Elder Sidhu gone the connection might be lost. The Mongolians kind of dropped off the grid with us but maybe a later day will bring them back. Meryem from Turkey goes back home tomorrow sadly but she really felt the Spirit at church and hopefully she finds some missionaries back in her home country,

There is a missionary in our district who stayed at our flat who sleeptalks. He gets really mad and starts singing and then yells at us. It was super scary but really funny to. He goes back to an earlier place in his mind so we were all his old companions as we talked to him as he slepttalk. Crazy!

Otherwise the best part of the week was our Brazilian investigator Amanda. We got her to fast with us yesterday to see if she should be baptized on October 23. It's so amazing as you teach a lesson that thoughts and impressions just flow into your mind to know how to work with people's concerns. She is so sweet and made us this Brazilian dessert called Brigadeiros. But anyway we promised if she would fast she would know what we are teaching is true so I'm excited! There is this deep, deep feeling for investigators that are progressing when all you care about is their spirituality that I don't know how to describe. Hope it all goes well!

Not much else for the week. It will be a good transfer as Elder Curtis is committed to working hard and we hope to see some good things happen.

Love you all and I love reading you emails!

-Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment